At a glance
By Nigel Bowen
1. The ATO’s “tax just happens” philosophy refers to:
A. The ATO’s hope that all taxpayers will file their returns on time this year
B. Inspiring Australian taxpayers and their accountants into applying even greater detail in their taxes
C. Digitally transforming the tax collection process to remove friction
2. Who said, “The hardest thing in the world to understand is income tax”?
A. Albert Einstein
B. Stephen Hawking
C. Rupert Murdoch
3. What nation is considering implementing a tourism tax following a spate of incidents that involved “low‑income” foreign visitors?
A. United Arab Emirates
4. If the controversial stage three tax cuts are implemented in Australia, more than 95 per cent of Australians will have a marginal tax rate no greater than:
A. 25 per cent
B. 28 per cent
C. 30 per cent
5. Australians have attempted to claim deductions for which of the following?
A. Dog food, caravans and garden gnomes
B. Business suits, cosmetic surgery and martial arts lessons
C. Children’s piano lessons, fancy dress hire and prescription reading glasses
6. Many Australians will get a smaller tax refund this year because of:
A. Changes to the rules around off-market share buy-backs
B. The removal of the low- and middle-income tax offset (LMITO)
C. The flattening of rates in the Australian income tax system
7. Which of the following beverages is taxed the most by the ATO?
C. Single-origin coffee
8. Who recently said, “The Australian tax system is in a parlous state. It is not capable of raising sufficient revenue to fund the activities of government”?
A. Dr Jim Chalmers
B. Dr Ken Henry
C. Paul Keating
9. Which of the following has not been used as an excuse for late tax lodgements or mistakes?
A. “A mouse ate my receipts.”
B. “Someone has stolen my pants.”
C. “My goldfish died.”
10. According to ATO assistant commissioner Tim Loh:
A. “There are only two people who can claim for their PJs, and that’s B1 and B2 from Bananas in Pyjamas.”
B. “Don’t bother trying to claim the cost of a dog unless you’re a farmer or work in security.”
C. “People have tried to claim the cost of garden gnomes, but that only applies if they’re owners of rental properties and the garden gnomes are for ‘street appeal’.”
2 . A: Albert Einstein
3 . B: Indonesia
4. C: 30 per cent
7. A: Brandy
8. B: Dr Ken Henry
9. C: “My goldfish died.”